- IMPORTANT CORONAVIRUS UPDATE: NEW MESSAGE FROM DAVID HOOD, HEADTEACHER, 17th March 2020
IMPORTANT CORONAVIRUS UPDATE: NEW MESSAGE FROM DAVID HOOD, HEADTEACHER, 17th March 2020
I am writing to inform you that, very reluctantly, we have made the decision to close the school to students from tomorrow, Wednesday 18 March.
At the time of writing, the Government’s recommendation is that schools remain open. Unfortunately, this is no longer a viable situation for us.
- An increasing number of staff are reporting in sick, or are self-isolating.
- Student attendance is decreasing rapidly.
- We strongly believe that we also have an obligation to do what we can not to put our community at greater risk than necessary. Many of our students live with vulnerable, older family members.
The staff who are able to will attend school on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to do planning to ensure that we can continue to support students’ learning.
Please note the following:
- Students should log onto Show My Homework to receive guidance from teachers on the learning they can be doing at home.
- If it is possible for us to reopen partially, for some groups of students, on Monday 23 March we will. We will keep you informed about this.
- It may be possible for us to provide supervision in school for the children of key workers (people who provide health care etc). Please let me know (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are a keyworker and would be interested in this if we can offer it.
- We are aware that not all students have access to ICT to enable them to learn at home. If this applies to you or someone you know, please let me know (email@example.com) so that we can put together paper based packs.
- If your child is entitled to a Free School Meal we are working on ways of enabling him/her to continue to access this during term time. We will keep you updated.
These are unprecedented actions for us to be taking. Please be assured that we are weighing our decisions carefully and always seeking to act in the best interests of the students, staff and wider community.