Message to parents and carers, 9th July 2020, from David Hood, Headteacher
Dear Students, Parents and Carers,
As you know, the Government has now published its guidance on how we are expected to ensure that all students are able to return to school safely in September.
Please note the following important points. This is to help you understand the work we need to do and give you an idea of how school life will be. I shall write again with more details as necessary. Some changes we are making are interesting and may be beneficial in the long term. Some changes we must make, even though we’d prefer not to.
1) All students are expected to come back to school. Attendance in school becomes compulsory again in September.
2) Students must not come to school if they are showing symptoms of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) – dry cough, high temperature, loss of smell and/or taste.
3) Any student who develops symptoms in school will be isolated and sent home. They must have a Coronavirus test and self-isolate for 7 days. Other members of the household (including siblings at Cressex) must self-isolate for 14 days.
4) Students in different year groups need to stay apart when they are in school and, if possible, on the journey to and from school.
5) This means that students will be taught in different areas of the building set aside for their year group only. Many lessons will be based in the same classroom. For most lessons, teachers will come to students.
6) The mixed age (vertical) tutor group system will be suspended. Students will be in a new year-group based tutor group when they return to school. Assemblies will be for students in one year group at a time only. Students should observe social distancing as far as possible in a classroom/school environment.
7) The school day will start at the same time for everyone (8.30 am). When they arrive students must go straight to their tutor room. The end of the day will be slightly different for each year group so that students don’t all leave together. Younger students will still be able to wait for older siblings.
8) Break time and lunchtime will happen at different times for students in different year groups.
9) All students must observe hygiene routines – frequent handwashing and “catch it, bin it, kill it” for coughs and sneezes. There will be lots of handwashing stations in school.
10) The school water fountain will not be available. Students will need to bring their own water or buy it from the canteen.
11) Students must not behave in any way that puts other students or adults at risk (e.g. coughing or spitting in the direction of others)
12) The school will be cleaned frequently and thoroughly. Students are encouraged to bring their own wipes and/or hand-sanitiser.
This is a lot to plan for and to take in. In order to help students get off to a good start to the year, we will be starting different year groups on different days in September.
Thursday 3 September 2020 – Year 7 and Year 12
Friday 4 September 2020 – Year 7 and Year 12
Monday 7 September 2020 – Year 7, Year 11 and Year 12
Tuesday 8 September 2020 – All students in school
We look forward to seeing all of Year 10 in school next week for their end of year exams.
With my best wishes to you all, and thank you for your continuing support.